These are really good and crispy. I really like these pickles because they are mild, keep their crunch and go great with burgers at a barbeque. I make them as much as I can when we can find the right cucumbers at the market. They remind me of the pickles you get in New York diners when you order a Cheese Burger Deluxe. Check out my recipe for Coleslaw to make the deluxe part of it.
- 4 medium Kirby cucumbers in Sweden they are called Västerås Gurka
- 120 ml cider vinegar you can sub white wine vinegar.
- 50 gr white sugar
- 50 gr course salt
- 1 tbsp dill seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves lightly crushed
- Begin by sterilizing a jar large enough to just fit the cut up pickles. Place in a 120 degree oven or 10 minutes
- Wash well and cut each cucumber into 4 long spears.
- In a pot bring to a boil the vinegar and sugar. Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients stir well.
- Place the cucumber spears into the sterilized jars and pour the warm vinegar mixture over them. There should be just enough to cover the pickles.
- Shake the jar to distribute the seeds and garlic and leave overnight in the refrigerator.
- The pickles are ready in 24 hours and keep for about 7 days.