You wouldn’t think that zucchini would have much flavor as a base flavor for a soup! But surprisingly enough it makes a beautiful silky, light and tasty soup.
This is one of those quick, easy and inexpensive recipes 30 minutes from start to finish. When making soups if you don’t have Knorr soft bouillon in those little plastic containers, you need to be careful about the salt. Plain square, dry cubes are very salty. It goes without saying that home made stock is best but today there are several brands of ready made stocks that you could use. This is just as good if you are using vegetable stock as well.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 kilo zucchini sliced lenght wise then cut into 1 cm slices
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- ½ teas nutmeg ground
- 1 deciliter whipping cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot melt the butter then add the onions and zucchini. Toss to coat all the vegetables.
- Add the stock and the nutmeg and bring to a strong simmer. Cook for 20 minutes until all the vegetables are soft and cooked through.
- Remove from the stove and add the cream. Using an immersible blender or a food processor puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Taste for salt and pepper. See Notes Below: