These are great meatballs soft and moist. Everyone thinks they have the best meatballs in the world. Well I don’t know if these are the best but they are certainly close. This is a large recipe and the meatballs freeze really well. This recipe will yield about 30, 60gr or 2oz meatballs. It will also give you lots of left over’s for lunches or dinners. I serve 3-4 meatballs, and I measure out 100 gr. or 3 1/2-4 oz. of dry spaghetti to go with it which will satisfy most people.
Mega Meat Balls
For the meatballs
- 500 gr ground beef
- 500 gr ground pork
- 165 gr white bread slices about 5 or 6 slices
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 50 gr parsley finely chopped
- 50 gr grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp fennel seeds lightly crushed
- 1 tsp dried red chile flakes well crushed
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 tsp salt plain white
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1.2 dl water approx.
For the sauce:
- 1-500 gr can of crushed tomatoes
- 1-500 gr container of passata pasteurised tomatoes
- 1.2 dl water
- ½ white onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt plain white
- freshly grated black pepper be generous
Making the meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 400°F
- For the meatballs, combine in a large bowl everything but the bread and water.
- In a food processor, place all the bread torn up into small pieces and process into rather fine bread crumbs. Add them to the ground meat.
- After you add the bread crumbs you will have to judge how much more water to add, the mixture should be soft but still be able to hold its shape. Too soft and the meat balls will flatten into patties in the oven. To hard and the meatballs will harden in the oven.
- Add the water and mix well
- At this point it is a good idea to make a tiny patty and fry it to see if the seasoning (salt & pepper) is right. It will take a minute or two but I find its worth it.
- Using an ice cream scoop or something like it, measure out meatballs that are about 60gr or 2oz. The mixture should give you 28 to 30 smallish meatballs.
- Place all the meatballs into an oven proof dish, be sure that they have a little room around them and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven.
- Reduce the oven to 150°C or 300°F
- Place the meatballs in another oven proof dish that will just hold them. Leaving behind any fat that has come out of them during the baking.
For the sauce
- In a little olive oil saute the chopped onion until it becomes translucent, add the garlic and saute for a moment more making sure not to burn the garlic.
- In a large bowl pour in the tomato's add 1.2 dl or 1/2 cup of water. Then add the fried onions, garlic, and all the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir well and pour over the meatballs.
- Cover the dish really well (tightly) with some aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and serve as they are with a bit of the sauce or with a bit of pasta.
- Serve with a little grated Parmesan.