A wonderful dish from Normandy it has been out of fashion for quite awhile. It’s great that we are beginning to see this back on menus and at the market. If you buy your mussels already cleaned it’s a great time saver. You can get dinner on the table with a salad in less than 30 minutes. Serve with a lot of crusty bread to soak up all the delicious broth and a small salad.
- 2 kilo Mussels Be sure they are fresh. Try and buy them already cleaned and de-bearded
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 med onion finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme fresh or 2 teaspoons level of dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 deciliter white wine room temp
- 3 tbsp parsely coarsely chopped
- 1 teas. sea salt
- 2 deciliter heavy cream room temp
- 2 large tomatoes nice and ripe deseeded and finely cubed
- Prepare everything ahead of time. You can do all the chopping and put things in small bowls covered with plastic wrap. You can do the same with the mussels, clean and store them in the fridge uncovered. All this can be done hours before you need them if you cover and refrigerate everything. You can do the same with a salad to serve with the mussels. If you want to use the cream don't use the tomato! They won't go well together.
- You will need a pot with a lid that is big enough to hold all the mussels and a bowl or two big enough to serve all the mussels in.
- Begin by placing the 2 tbsp of olive oil and heating until it is hot.
- Gently saute the onions. garlic, thyme and bay leaf until softened about 10 minutes. You don't want them to color.
- When this is done, turn up the heat and pour in the white wine and let simmer for about least 4 minutes to get rid of the alcohol. You will be able to smell that its gone.
- Pour in all the mussels at one time. Keep the heat high, place the lid on the pot and let steam for about 3 minutes and then shake the pot vigorously to stir up the mussels, this will help them cook evenly.
- Cook for another 3 minutes, by this time all the mussels should be open. They are cooked once they have opened. Add the chopped parsley and teaspoon of salt. If you are using the cream or the tomato add it now. Remember use either cream or tomato: both of these are optional. The recipe is great with or without them. With a large spoon toss it all together, let it come back to a boil. Then you can empty the pot into 1 or 2 large serving bowls.