Homemade or handmade gifts are always appreciated, a gift of rich luxurious sinfully delicious handmade truffles is a treasure. If you can’t afford to give a bottle of Dom Pérignon Champagne these will definitely impress almost as much!
This is one recipe that can make 4 or 5 different truffles. Change the liquor and the coating and there you go. These are made with Cognac but you can use Brandy, Rum, Cointreau, Bourbon, almost all of the dark liquors will work well.
- 250 grams dark chocoate chopped very finely (70% best quality)
- 120 grams heavy cream
- 28 grams unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp congnac or some other dark liquor
- 75 grams cocao for dredging the truffles
- Sm bowl chopped walnuts.
- Place in one bowl the chopped up chocolate.
- In a small pot place the cream and butter and heat until it is just ready to boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for one minute (this is important).
- With a rubber spatula gently mix the cream, butter and melted chocolate together.
- Add the liquor and vanilla and gently mix it in.
- Cover the mixture and place in the fridge for several hours to get cold. You can do this the day before.
- When chilled, using a melon melon baller, mini ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop out small balls (about the size of quails eggs) and roll them in your hands. This will help to make the outsides of them warm so that your coating will stick better. Then drop them into the cocoa or chopped nuts.
- Once this is done they are ready and you can store them in a plastic container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You can even freeze the small balls before you coat them and then defrost them in the fridge.